Markets
BSE See NSE See 36,594.33
-143.36 (-0.39%)

Glenmark Pharma launches single inhaler triple therapy

Apurva Joshi
/ Categories: DSIJ Mindshare
Rate this article:
3.5
Glenmark Pharma launches single inhaler triple therapy

Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Limited has launched a single inhaler triple therapy AIRZ-FF-a combination of two bronchodilators, Glycopyrronium & Formoterol and the inhalation corticosteroid Fluticasone propionate for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

COPD is a very common and serious lung disease which like hypertension or diabetes, requires personalised treatment over the rest of the patient’s life. This new triple therapy offers significant bronchodilation (making breathing easier), reduces risk of severe attacks, and eliminates dependence on multiple inhalers. The reduction in risk of severe attack decreases the requirement for hospitalisation, a benefit of high significance in the current prevailing situation.

In India, around 55.3 million people are living with COPD of varying degrees of severity. The disease prevalence has grown significantly by 24 per cent in the last decade. Health experts attribute this rise to low levels of awareness and low rates of diagnosis of the disease. Together these factors have made COPD, the second leading cause of death by disease in India.

Of the global COPD burden, about 35 per cent is attributed to tobacco smoking while, remaining 65 per cent is seen in non-smokers, mostly living in low and middle income countries. In India, a substantial number of COPD cases occur in people who have never smoked. They have been suffering due to ambient air pollution, occupational exposure to dust and gases, poor living conditions, repeated respiratory tract infections and exposure to indoor biomass smoke.

According to global organisations on respiratory medicine, patients most likely to benefit from triple therapy include those with history of multiple or severe attacks, despite appropriate use of singular or dual bronchodilators alone.

On Monday, the stock of Glenmark Pharma surged 1.7 per cent to Rs 339.50 from its previous close of Rs 333.70 on BSE.

Previous Article Hero MotoCorp shines on resuming retail business
Next Article Sell in May & go away, a right thing to do?

Please login or register to post comments.

DSIJ MINDSHARE

12345Last