BSE See NSE See 39,149.13
337.74 (0.87%)

Tax Column


Jayesh Dadhia 

I have made a public appeal for contribution/donation for medical treatment of my son as I cannot afford his medical treatment. There was a good response and I am likely to receive around Rs.10 lakh. The cheque will come in my name or my son’s name. The issue for your consideration is whether such money collected and spent for medical treatment is chargeable to tax under the Income Tax Act? 

If you receive contribution/donation in your name or in the name of your son, then the same would be chargeable to tax under section 56(2)(x) of the Income Tax Act, irrespective of the purpose for which the same is co

To read the entire article, you must be a DSIJ magazine subscriber.

Comments are only visible to subscribers.

DSIJ Mindshare